Make a Claim
Making a claim can sometimes appear complicated and even daunting, which is why we have set out the following guidelines to help you validate your claim and help us deal with your claim quickly and fairly. However, these guidelines are not a substitute for the policy terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions which you should read carefully.
NOTE: At the time you buy this travel insurance, if you are aware of any circumstances that may result in a claim, you must tell the Columbus Direct Travel Insurance booking staff.
KEY CONTACT DETAILS
Tel: +44 (0) 208 865 1654
Tel: +44 (0) 845 888 8893
24 Hour Emergency Medical Assistance Service:
Tel: +44 (0) 208 865 1640
- For medical claims – call the 24 hour emergency medical assistance service number and a agent will confirm whether your treatment or expenses are covered under the terms of your policy. They will also liaise directly with hospitals regarding your medical requirements and payment of bills. In some cases it may be easier to pay minor expenses yourself. If you are in any doubt as to whether these costs will be covered, contact the assistance service for prior authorisation. Keep all receipts and medical reports and submit a claim when you return home.
- For Curtailment claims – call the assistance service if you need to return early for an insured reason.
For all Other Claims:
- Check the relevant policy section to see if you are covered.
- Check what documentation is required to make a claim.
- Contact the Claims Service to request a claim form.
- Submit your claim within 28 days of returning home. (In certain cases you may wish to claim whilst still travelling – this is possible but you must still adhere to the usual claims requirements).
- Keep copies of your completed claim form and all supporting documentation (originals must be submitted to the Claims Service).
- Keep any damaged items that are the subject of a claim. They may be required for salvage/assessment.
How the Claims Service deal with your claim:
- They will aim to assess your claim within 5 working days of receiving your completed claim form.
- They may require you to provide further information, in which case your response will be assessed within 5 working days.
- They may appoint a loss adjuster to discuss your claim in person.
- They will settle all valid claims by sterling cheque or BACS payment.
- Take all travel insurance documentation on holiday with you.
- Always obtain written confirmation of travel delay or cancellation from the airline, ferry, railway or coach operator.
- Ensure you take all possible precautions for safeguarding your belongings.
- If any of your belongings are lost or damaged, report it to the police within 48 hours and obtain a written report.
- Keep all receipts, accounts and documentary evidence as you will need them to make your claim. Any item with a value of £50 or more must be supported with the original receipt.
- In the event of death, medical expenses, accidental injury or illness likely to require hospitalisation, repatriation or any alteration to travel plans, call the Emergency Helpline immediately.
- Do not discuss, agree or pay any potential claim against you for personal liability.
- Written notice of any claim should be submitted to the Claims Handler as soon as possible.
- In order to notify a claim, call or write to the Claims Handler (address and phone number appears on the reverse side of the certificate) and you will be sent a claim form.
- Please do not notify Columbus Direct Travel Insurance, as this could delay the claims process.