Columbus Direct has welcomed 10 million customers and has a global reputation for quality travel insurance. We are very proud of the cover we can offer to our customers. This is a summary of all benefits. You can download the complete terms and conditions of the insurance here.
Medical / Repatriation Cover:
up to US$ 14 million
Substantial cover is available for your medical bills and treatment.
1. Just contact the 24 hour assistance company and they will arrange appropriate treatment or emergency transport, or any other costs necessary for recovery.
2. Assistance company will help with language difficulties / problems /translations in the hospital
3. Cover for additional cost of accommodation for a close relative or travel companion (following medical advice).
4. Cover for the additional cost for somebody to escort you home (following medical advice).
5. Cover for the reasonable cost to send someone out to accompany your children home (following medical advice).
6. Repatriation home (following medical advice).
7. The transport of necessary medication can also be arranged if it is not available locally.
8. Repatriation of the remains of the insured, or we cover the cost of the funeral / cremation abroad.
Extra cash allowance - up to US$ 4,500
9. If you are admitted into hospital overnight, you will receive 50 € per day to cover expenses like Taxis, food etc
Cancellation & Curtailment:
up to US$ 7,500
We will compensate you for the cost of cancelling your holiday in the following situations:
10. Death, injury or illness of yourself, a close relative / business colleague or travel companion.
11. If your house has become uninhabitable or has been subjected to (attempted) burglary.
12. If you are made redundant by your employer.
13. If you are summoned to be a witness in court or for jury or public service
14. If you are called for military, medical or public service.
15. Epidemic or natural disasters stop you from travelling.
In the case of curtailment, we will cover
16. The prepaid costs of the trip based on the number of days you were home or in hospital.
17. The reasonable loss of accommodation and transport to return home
Baggage & Delayed baggage:
up to US$ 4,000
18. We cover the loss, theft and damage to your baggage & personal belongings.
19. We cover the loss and theft of money
20. We cover the loss, theft and damage to valuable objects
21. We cover the cost of replacing your personal documents
Delayed Baggage - up to US$ 300
22. If your baggage is delayed, we’ll cover your expenses.
up to US$ 40,000
23. In case of a serious injury or permanent disablement, we will offer compensation.
up to US$ 3 Million
24. For accidental damage to third parties (person or property).
up to US$ 40,000
25. If you suffer personal injury, we cover the cost for juridical advice / procedure.
up to US$ 7.500
26. If your trip is not worth going anymore due to severe delay, we’ll pay you back your holiday.
Travel delay compensation
up to US$ 300
27. We’ll offer compensation if your trip is delayed for more than 6 hours.
up to US$ 1,200
28. If you miss your departure due to circumstances beyond your control, we will cover replacement transport to the destination.
up to US$ 750
29. We’ll offer compensation if you can’t continue your holiday due to a natural disaster.
up to US$ 4,500
30. We’ll offer compensation if your plane/train/bus gets hijacked
up to US$ 5,000
Business Equipment - up to US$ 2,500
31. If you have added the Business Cover Extention to your policy, we will cover the loss and theft of and damage to your business equipment and business documents.
Replacement Business Colleague - up to US$ 5,000
32. If you have added the Business Cover Extention to your policy, we will pay for the travel expenses of a colleague to replace you at your destination if you have to cancel / curtail your business trip.
Adventure Sports Cover:
Your policy is extended to include medical cover when participating in the following sports and activities: Badminton, Basketball, Beach Volley Ball, Boccer, Boxing training (no contact), Cycling – not touring, Dinghy Sailing (inside 20km limit), Elephant Riding (1-2 days), Golf, Hiking, Kayaking/ Canoeing/ Rafting involving white water rapids grades 1, 2 and 3, Kite Surfing, Horse Riding involving the use of protective head gear (but excluding Eventing, Show- jumping or taking part in any equestrian competition) Marathon Running, Martial Arts training (no contact), Mopeds, Motorcycling on vehicles under 125cc, Mountain Biking, Overland Expedition, River sledging, Running, Safari, Sailing Inshore (inside 20km limit), Sea Canoeing, Snorkelling, Squash, Surfing, Table Tennis, Tennis, Trekking (not requiring the use of ropes, guides or oxygen), Water Skiing, Weightlifting.
Winter Sports Cover:
Piste Closure - up to US$ 400
33. If the pistes in your holiday resort are closed due to a lack of snow or bad weather conditions, we'll offer you compensation.
Winter Sports Equipment - up to US$ 500
34. We will cover your ski equipment in case of theft, damage or loss. Hired ski equipment is covered as well.
Winter Sports Equipment Hire - up to US$ 400
35. If you own or hired winter sports equipment has been stolen, damaged or has gone missing, we'll cover you to hire replacement ski equipment.
Winter Sports Pack - up to US$ 500
36. If you can't make use of a lift pass or can't take your pre-booked ski lessons due to an accident or illness (or theft of the lift pass), we will offer you compensation.
Winter Sports Medical Cover - up to US$ 14 million
Your policy is extended to include medical cover when participating in the following Winter Sports: Skiing on and off piste (off piste means skiing away from the piste within the resort boundaries with a qualified guide) other than against local authorities' warning or advice, cross country (Nordic) Skiing, Mono Skiing, Ski bobbing, Skidooing, Snow mobiling, blading and snowboarding, curling, tobogganing, outdoor ice skating.
up to US$ 3,000
Golf Equipment - up to US$ 3,000
37. We will cover your golf equipment in case of theft, damage or loss. Hired golf equipment is covered as well.
Green Fees Cancellation Insurance - up to US$ 500
38. If you can't play golf during your trip due to an accident or illness, we will offer you compensation.
Maximum number of days abroad
(annual insurance policy)
31 or 60 days depending on your policy
32. You can make as many trips as you like as long as each individual trip doesn’t exceed 60 days (60 day policy) or 31 days (31 day policy).
An excess of US$ 75 applies to cancellation/curtailment claims, 18 ,19 ,20 ,21, 26 & 24.
An excess of US$ 150 applies to Medical claims.
Personal liability is subject to a US$ 250 excess.