By Vicky Anscombe on 29 April 2015

If you're going abroad after June 8 and you'd like to hire a car, you may need a special code if you'd like to get behind the wheel.

After June 8, the paper part of your licence - the bit that holds endorsements and fines - is being computerised, and in order to show other countries that you've got convictions, you'll need to get a special code from the DVLA website before you leave.

However - the code is only valid for 72 hours, so if you're hiring a car for longer than this period, you'll need to log on and get a new code while you're abroad. Don't have the internet? No problem - a phone number will also be available.

It's worth bearing in mind that car hire companies may ask for the code at their own discretion, as it's not an official requirement.

What is to become of your paper counterparts after June 8? Conflicting advice is currently doing the rounds; the DVLA recommends that you destroy them, however the AA says you should hang on to your paper licence in case some hire companies are unaware of the new arrangements.

But the AA also said that hiring a car abroad without a paper counterpart is not always a problem. Just as some car hire companies do not currently ask for a counterpart, not all will ask for a code after June 8.

The old-style paper licences will remain valid, but holders will still need a code to validate them.

 Got convictions? Log on to the View My Driving licence page.

You'll need to have your driving licence number, national insurance number and postcode to hand.

Always wanted to drive Route 66? Here's part one of our tip-top guide...

What, you want more? Here's part two.

Image credit:

← Columbus Direct backs Swiss ski resort which has banned Saint Bernard selfies

How to live in harmony with difficult people →