By Vicky Anscombe on 13 February 2015

If you're travelling to the ICC Cricket World Cup this spring, you'll be aware that it's a hectic time for a cricket fan.

The tournament runs from February 14 - March 28, and 49 one-day international matches will be played. That's a lot of games. So, without any further ado, here's what to check before you leave to ensure your trip's a success.

Passports, visas and travel insurance

British nationals need a visa to travel to Australia. You can apply for one (free) on the Department of Immigration & Border Protection website. Don't forget that on arrival you may be asked to provide evidence of funds to support your stay, and a return or onward ticket. Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay.

Plus, don't forget to take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel. If you lose your passport, or it is stolen, you’ll need to obtain an Emergency Travel Document from the nearest British consulate.

At the matches:

You will not be allowed to bring in alcohol, drugs, breakable or metal containers, cans, offensive weapons, large flags, musical instruments and professional camera/video/ audio equipment. Watch your drinking; if you appear even mildly drunk, you could be refused entry.

Traveller tips:

Easter is from April 3-6. Many shops and service providers will be closed during this time, so please ensure you have adequate stocks of prescription medicines or any other items you may need.

The level of crime is no higher than in the UK, but still, exercise caution. Be careful with personal possessions and travel documents in cities and other popular tourist destinations. Avoid carrying everything in one bag; only carry what you need; and leave spare cash and valuables in hotel safety deposit boxes.

Reduce the risk of losing your passport by getting a proof of age card. This is an accepted form of ID for many services like opening bank accounts or entering licensed premises. By getting a card soon after you arrive, you’ll avoid the need to carry your passport with you.

Want to drive? As a visitor, you can drive in Australia if you have both parts of the UK driving licence: the photo-card and paper counterpart.

Protect yourself from the sun - the Aussie sun is very strong, and the incidence of skin cancer in Australia is one of the highest in the world, two to three times the UK rate.

If you live in the UK and you've travelled on a British passport, you're entitled to limited subsidised health service for medically-necessary treatment while visiting Australia. This does not cover pre-existing conditions, or treatment that does not require prompt attention. If you don’t have comprehensive medical insurance and aren't covered under the reciprocal arrangements, costs can soon mount up.

 If you're swimming, take care. Rip currents are the main danger, and even if you're a strong swimmer, you can still be easily swept out to sea. Don't swim on any unattended beaches, swim between the red and yellow flags, and never swim alone - or after you've been drinking.

Emergency services numbers:

Life-threatening or time critical emergency: 000 or 112 (national 24 hour numbers) and state whether you need Police, Fire or Ambulance.

Non–emergency situation (e.g. if your passport has been lost/stolen), call (03) 9247 6666 if you're in Melbourne, and 13 14 44 from all other locations.

← The top 20 resorts for worldwide skiing injuries

Chemmy Alcott and The Arctic V create a new Guinness World Record →